Products - FAQ
Products - FAQ
- Where is your sizing information?
- Are there any legal restrictions on your products?
- Do you have Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) available?
- Can any of your products be personalized?
- How do I get to the surveying supplies?
- I want CHIEF to be a distributor for my products. What do I do?
- I don't see the answer to my question. What now?
- What is "XSPSPCL"?
Where is your sizing information?
Sizing varies by manufacturer. Sizing information specific to that brand is listed with any product on our website that has sizing options. All our available sizing information is also listed here.
Are there any legal restrictions on your products?
Yes. Law and/or company policy restricts the sale of some items and/or requires written authorization. Items including but not limited to badges, body armor, vehicle equipment, auto opening tools and automatic knives can be ordered only by authorized professionals.
In order for us to process your order, follow these instructions: How to Order Restricted Items. Otherwise, orders for these items will not be processed.
Do you have Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) available?
Yes. If we have MSDS for a product, it will appear on that product's information page. Or, browse all our MSDS in PDF or Word formats »
Can any of your products be personalized?
CHIEF can customize almost any garment that we sell.
CHIEF can also add sew-on patches to garments bought from CHIEF. Your department has to send the patches. A patch cannot be over 4.5" across at its widest point. Cost is $5 per garment. For more details, call .
How do I get to the surveying supplies?
Supplies and gear for surveying, engineering and construction are available at CHIEF Survey »
I want CHIEF to be a distributor for my products. What do I do?
Get your message right in front of our decision-makers: Fill out our email form and select Subject: "Product/ Vendor Suggestions". Thank you for your interest in CHIEF!
For more about CHIEF, see Info for Manufacturers »
What is "XSPSPCL"?
"XSPSPCL" is a special part number we use for ordering non-stock products. It shows up on invoices or when you check your online account. If you have questions about this product and/or your order, call your CHIEF account manager at for more information.
I don't see the answer to my question. What now?
- General Questions
- Where is my order confirmation?
- Is this site safe?
- Can I buy from CHIEF if I'm not a firefighter, officer, soldier, etc.?
- Do I have to have an account to order?
- What are CHIEF's hours of operation?
- Does CHIEF have a print catalog?
- Do I/my tax-exempt government agency have to pay sales tax?
- Do you take special orders?
- I don't see the answer to my question. What now?
- Delivery & Order Status
- Promos & Special Pricing
Where is my order confirmation?
You should receive your order confirmation via email within minutes of placing your online order. Look for "Order (and your order number)" in the "Subject" field. Please also check your spam filters and junk/bulk email settings, to make sure that you are accepting email from CHIEFsupply.com email addresses. If you have not received your order confirmation within 3 business days, please contact us »
AOL Customers: Be sure that your "Mail Control" settings allow email from CHIEFsupply.com email addresses to be delivered to you.
Is this site safe?
Yes. Our secure server encrypts all of your personal information, including your credit card number, name, address, and shopping cart selections. The characters you enter are converted into bits of code that are securely transmitted over the Internet, making the information unreadable. For more information on what we do to fight fraud, see How We Protect You & Prevent Credit Card Fraud.
Can I buy from CHIEF if I'm not a firefighter, officer, soldier, etc.?
You can still order from us even if you're not in the Public Safety industry. Of course, certain products require official authorization, but many of our products, such as flashlights, apparel, knives, multi-tools, etc. can be purchased by the general public.
Do I have to have an account to order?
You can order online with or without a CHIEF account. From your cart, press "Go to Checkout". To order without logging in or creating an account, just select "Continue to Checkout as Guest". You may set up a free CHIEF account at any time you wish, but you don't have to.
What are CHIEF's hours of operation?
We staff our sales and customer service desks from . We continually monitor our phones, fax lines, emails and website throughout the day.
Does CHIEF have a print catalog?
Yes, CHIEF produces a 375-page Premier Product Guide and you can download it by section or in its entirety here.
Do I/my tax-exempt government agency have to pay sales tax?
If you reside in Florida or North Carolina, we will add applicable sales tax.
Tax-Exempt Government Entities: Apply for sales tax exemption with CHIEF (restrictions apply). When ordering over our website, sales tax for qualifying government entities will be removed after the sale, due to verification restrictions.
- Place your order using our secure online facilities (note in comments at Checkout that you are tax-exempt)
- After you have completed your order, fax us the name of your government entity with your tax exempt ID numbers to us at (888) 588-8590 (ATTN: Tax Exemption)
- Upon receiving those documents, we will delete any already-applied state or local taxes. We will keep your information on file so that on any future orders we will know to delete the taxes upon receipt of your online order
Do you take special orders?
Yes. If you don't see the product(s) you're looking for on our website, please call us at for immediate availability. Please note: Special orders are subject to the return policy of the manufacturer, and may be subject to restocking charges and handling fees.
I don't see the answer to my question. What now?
When will my credit card be charged?
We do not charge your credit card until your product(s) ship. You will receive an email after your product(s) ship. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us »
What payment methods does CHIEF accept?
CHIEF accepts Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, checks and money orders. Purchase Orders or Net 30 also available for agencies, call .
Online orders may be placed only by customers in the U.S. or Canada, or by U.S. Military personnel anywhere in the world.
Please see our International FAQ for ordering from outside the U.S. or Canada.
Can I use a purchase order (P.O.) to order online?
Department customers can set up their CHIEFsupply.com accounts to order online using a purchase order. Here's how:
- If you don't have one currently, set up a free account at CHIEFsupply.com
- Call your account manager at and tell them your agency would like to use purchase orders for online ordering
- Verify that your email address on file matches the email address used to log in to your CHIEFsupply.com account
- Use of purchase orders online will be activated within 24 hours. When you complete your order, you must be logged in to your CHIEFsupply.com account to enable purchase orders
Note that online purchase order use is available only to authorized purchasing personnel for agency purchases only.
Where do I send payment?
P.O. Box 481912
Charlotte, NC 28269
American Express customers
On checkout, your shipping address must match the billing address (i.e., we can only ship your products to your billing adddress).
Delivery & Order Status
How can I check the status of my order?
To check order and delivery status, log in or create your CHIEF account (requires email address you used when you ordered). Once inside your account, go to Order History. We will also send you a U.P.S. tracking number with your email confirming your product(s) are being shipped.
When will my products arrive?
Once shipped, your order will take 1-5 business days to arrive. However, please note the following...
- Although our website accepts orders 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, we can only process orders during our hours of operation. If you need an item overnighted be sure to order before 1 p.m. ET. (Also note that you should not choose overnight shipping if you are placing an order after 1 p.m. ET, Friday as your order will not be processed until 8 a.m. Monday or our next business day)
- Personalized items (e.g., embroidered apparel or custom badges) cannot be overnighted
- To overnight pepper spray or gauges, an additional $20 haz-mat fee applies
- Shipping fire extinguishers requires an additional $25 hazardous material fee
Your emailed order confirmation will outline when each of your product(s) purchased will ship. Please also see our Shipping & Tax page for more detailed information on shipping times, or call us at if you have any further questions.
Can my order be shipped to an address that's not the same as my billing address?
Yes. For your protection, when we receive an order where the shipping address does not match the billing address on your credit card, we will contact the card holder's issuing bank for address verification. One of our Order Analysts may contact you if we can't verify your information.
For smoother and faster transactions, one suggestion we often make to customers is to notify your bank that you will be shipping an order to an address that is not the same as your billing address.
Can my order be shipped to an address outside the United States?
In most cases. A $100 minimum applies to all orders shipped outside the U.S. (except U.S. military). Restrictions apply to some products.
For full details, see our International FAQ.
Does CHIEF offer APO/FPO shipping?
Yes. CHIEF ships orders to U.S. Military stationed overseas (in fact, customers have told us we're the fastest in the business).
Full full details, see Shipping & Tax - APO/FPO Addresses »
Promos & Special Pricing
How do I redeem my promo code?
Redeem your discount code in the Cart. Just enter your code in the "Coupon Code" box and press the "Redeem" button. The Cart will apply your promo code to all eligible items and will update your order. The redeemed promo and any free items, discounted prices, etc., will be displayed on the page.
Note that some promo codes are valid for online orders only. Promo codes expire or may be discontinued by CHIEF without notice. CHIEF reserves the right to cancel an order for unauthorized, altered, or ineligible use of promotional offers.
Do you offer free shipping?
Sometimes. Throughout the year we run free shipping promotions. To make sure you know when our next one is happening,subscribe to CHIEF Email Updates.
Does CHIEF offer GSA pricing?
Yes. CHIEF is on the GSA Federal Supply Schedule. Purchasing & Contract Details »
What if a price is wrong?
We make every effort to keep our website error-free, but mistakes do happen. If you or we find a pricing error on a product you recently purchased, we will make it right with you. We reserve the right not to sell below cost and to correct errors.
If you find an error on our website, please let us know.
Do you offer volume/quantity pricing and discounts?
CHIEF does offer volume discounting, including special agency pricing on some items. For more information, please call us at or request a free quote online.